Friday, October 8, 2010

Notes from Big Red - 2



10/8/10

I’m sitting at the kitchen counter reading passages from The Koran in my Western Lit text and writing notes on how I will present it to my students back in Alabama. None of them have read The Koran. I’m sure that some of my more religious students will be reluctant to read it lest they are corrupted by the Muslim text. 

The boyfriend and I have been listening to the Opening from The Koran on CD – something I will play for my students later next week.  He was given an entire recording of the Koran (in Arabic of course) when he was in Morocco.  I wonder if we’ll ever listen to all 15 hours of it.  Certainly Big Red would be the place to do that.

The more time I spend here, the more I am convinced that this is the place to do my writing.  Words come to me here in a way they haven’t in a long time.  Not since New Orleans have I been able to express myself so easily.  I’m glad I found Nashville. 

No comments:

Post a Comment