Sunday, January 8, 2012

Skype - Student/Teacher Conferences of the “Future”!





At the beginning of the fall semester, 2011, I was dealing with a scheduling conflict that was going to require that I drive 45 minutes (each way) one extra day of class just to hold office hours where my students may or may not have actually visited me. As an adjunct, my office would have been a cramped room with other adjuncts present (not an ideal place for a student to voice serious concerns).  I had considered making the long, gas burning journey on an extra day every week just to sit in the coffee shop in the library and spend even more of my meager salary sipping overpriced coffee while wishing that my students cared as much about their college careers as I did.

It just didn’t make sense.  Why waste so much time, money, and gasoline while actually helping no one?

I needed to re-think my responsibilities as their teacher. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that although the “Office Hours” requirement is very much needed, the way we conduct our office hours needs to change. I needed to find a better way to interact one-on-one with my students.

Although students SHOULD prefer human interaction, it’s not our job to change what technological evolution is causing. Our job is to teach the material, to follow guidelines, and to mentor students into their next classes.

Here is a video explaining what happened when I skyped with my students:



No comments:

Post a Comment