Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Oprah

If you asked, I would not classify myself as an Oprahrian. I certainly haven't devoted all my afternoons to her show. I've never read her magazine. I don't have her new cable channel. And I don't agree with everything she says. And yet, even I owe a giant thanks to her majesty, Oprah.

When I started watching The Oprah Winfrey show, I was in my twenties, and the last thing on my mind was reading a book. Oh I had better things to do!  It was 1996, and I hadn't read a book since high school - in almost 8 years. Somehow, I had forgotten the magic in reading. How did I take for granted such a precious gift?  

I'm glad that Oprah reminded me.  I started with The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard and then there was The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton. Many more followed, some on her list like She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi, Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts, The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve, Tara Road by Maeve Binchy, Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton, and many, many more on my own list. 

In my renewed passion for reading, I somehow found the courage to go back to school after so many years away, and after losing confidence in my academic abilities. And something magical happened. I found Shakespeare - and a professor who believed in me.  Dr. Loomis at UNO might have scoffed at my Oprah Book Club had she known that it got me in her class. But maybe not. After all, everyone knows Oprah.  Eventually, I got my Masters Degree in English from the University of Alabama. Could I have done that without Oprah? 

There are so many other things that I have to thank Oprah for: Gratitude Journals, Random Acts of Kindness, A-HA Moments, and my favorite quote from Oprah: "When someone tells you who they are, believe them." 

I've cried so many times watching her show - in grief and joy. I've remembered so many of her guests' stories - especially the ones that made me appreciate what I have or made me believe in what I am capable of.  And yet, I don't consider myself a regular viewer. That is the power of Oprah.

Oprah is a force for good in this world, not just because of the things she did, but because of what she inspired in other people. Even in people like me.

So, on this last day of the Oprah show, I plan to sit back on the sofa one last time, throw my feet up, grab a tissue, and celebrate Miss O!














No comments:

Post a Comment