Monday, May 9, 2011

Make Your Own Clothes Detergent - I Did!


Recently I replaced my toxic dryer sheets with a Mr. Steamy ball.  I love how it works – no static cling and my clothes are soft and not heavily scented.  Since then I thought it would be REALLY nice to never have to buy clothes detergent as well. I found a great recipe online that’s simple and SO cheap!

Here it is:

1 part Borax
1 part Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
1 bar of grated Ivory Soap

I took a new 5-Gallon bucket (with lid) and mixed my ingredients.  I bought enough ingredients for 12 cups of each for the first batch – which comes to little less than half the bucket.  The total cost for everything was about $17. 

But here’s the best part: it takes only a TABLESPOON to wash a load. Do you know how many tablespoons are in half a 5 Gallon bucket? I looked it up and the answer is – about 640!  So, for $17 I get 640 loads .  That’s .03 per load. (I rounded up.)  Yes! 3 cents per load!!!!

Kiss my butt, Tide!


No comments:

Post a Comment